[logon] [developers] LOGON and java

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Tue Nov 25 23:42:56 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Stephan Oepen <oe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> currently, i fear some creativity on your part will be required, for
> example prepending ‘/usr/bin/’ to your PATH after loading the LOGON
> setting, or maybe just something like
>
>   chmod 700 $LOGONROOT/bin/java

The chmod solution is what I usually recommend to people who run into
problems with this.  The risk of course is that LOGON's java code might not
run properly on the system version, but it doesn't seem to come up much.

These days I try to modify the user's PATH as little as possible, although
it's not always an option (which is why patas has such a honking long
default PATH.)

--
D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics