[osmt] German -- English MT baby system

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Sun Jul 16 19:35:13 CEST 2006

Stephan Oepen wrote:
> [...]
>     some 80 sentences.  exporting MRSs in [incr tsdb()] provides the
>     starting point to the transfer rule acquisition script.
>
>   - to get a stub DeEn transfer grammar, we copied NoEn and purged most
>     of its content.  micha ran his acquisition script, and we included
>     the result as `mrs.mtr' in `$LOGONROOT/uio/deen' (1233 rules).  at
>     this point, we had a first working system and started fine-tuning.
>     the graph attached to this message shows incremental improvements
>     over the first 24 or so hours :-).
>
>   - it seems there are a number of strategic choices to be made during
>     transfer rule generation, many of them related to how to `carve up'
>     aligned MRSs, and how much mis-alignment to tolerate.  i hear micha
>     has continued problem analysis and fine-tuning since he left oslo,
>     and i look forward to final results in his thesis :-).
>
> so much for the original DeEn experiment.  berthold has since agreed to
> become the maintainer of the GG-specific VPM and upload future versions
> of the grammar into CVS (much like what francis does for JaCY).  we did
> use half an hour or so on doing the same steps for EnDe, but to date we
> have not even looked at results in detail.  in principle, the transfer
> rule acquisition approach should work well bi-directionally.
>
> some of the things that remain to be done:
>
>   - it seems the (LKB) unknown name and number generation is sensitive
>     to capitalization, much to my surprise: [ CARG "berthold" ] worked
>     fine, [ CARG "Berthold" ] did not.  also, we should add the generic
>     lexical entries into GG once we start getting serious about EnDe.
>
>   - i need to recompile PET to include the VPM code; currently, we are
>     limited to using the LKB for parsing too.
>
>   - to run things from source, DFKI has to locate their ACL 8.0 license
>     file (probably sent in email late in 2005).
>

>   - for the MRS test suite, GG coverage left room for improvement; also
>     it would seem worthwhile to systematically harmonize analyses, much
>     like we did across NorGram, the ERG, and JaCY.
>
> once we are content with this approach on the MRS test suite, we should
> consider going back to the EuroParl materials, maybe pick five thousand
> or so sentences and work on them systematically.  one problem i noticed
> when looking at EuroParl for the first time is the pre-processing that
> was applied:
>
>   In the meantime , I should like to observe a minute' - s silence ,
>
> presumably, we would have to go back to the original text and redo the
> sentence alignment (they supply the scripts they used, so it should be
> feasible doing this).
>
> micha, berthold, francis, everyone, please correct and comment as you
> see fit!  i plan to use a bit of my time this coming week to wrap up
> LOGON for a first public release at ACL|COLING.  hence, it might make
> sense to try and get updated versions of GG and (at least) DeEn into
> CVS before the end of the week?  francis, what is the status of JaEn

Dear Stephan,

LOGON support is now part of the standard GG distribution. Since I had
trouble with cvs write access last Fri, please get the latest version
from http://gg.dfki.de. It now generates also from sanitised MRSs. Can
you replace the entire dfki/gg subdirectory with the contents of the
official distribution? Note that the script file is "lkb/script" and not
"lkb/_script", as it was in the pre-release.

Micha, since I had to change semi.vpm, can you regenerate the DE-EN
transfer rules, (and EN-DE)?  You can get the current grammar either
from the web site, from SVN, or from /project/cl/systems/logon/dfki/gg/.
Please do not forget to reparse the MRS test suite and update the tree
bank. The annotated treebank you can use for updating is in
/project/cl/systems/lingo/lkb/src/tsdb/home/MRS-DE/.

Stephan, the .mtr files Micha sent to you last Fri probably do not work
with the corrected semi.vpm.  So for the demo, either use the old
system, or update both GG and the transfer grammars.

EN-DE used to fail for one out of two reasons.  First, different case in
CARG, and second, index features prontype and grind, none of which were
defined for German. I have incorporated these features into the semi.vpm
mappings now, although I could not yet test it. The CARG problem still
persists.

Best,

Berthold